Shout out to the wonderful Meghan from Travelingking for nominating me for a Liebster Award, which is basically an award bestowed on emerging bloggers (those with less than 200 followers) by other bloggers to help gain recognition and share the blogging love. So, check her writing out! She’s got some great stuff on South Korea, my old stomping grounds. 🙂
Here are the questions I’ve been asked to answer:
Where are you from?
I’m from Coloma, California. Ever heard of it? Most likely not, but it’s a historical gold mining town in the foothills of Northern California and it’s home sweet home. It may not be a happening area, but I think it’s one of the most beautiful places in the world.
What was it that first motivated you to travel?
Growing up in such a small town, I was very aware that there was so much beyond what I knew, and I wanted to see it. I was a bookworm and my parents forced me to watch a lot of foreign films, which gave me a big imagination and a dream to adventure in exciting places and meet people unlike anyone I’d met before.
What is your best travel memory?
Impossible to say best, but some of the fondest are from my first backpacking trip to Europe with my college friend, Melissa. It was our first trip without adults and we planned for at least six months beforehand. Reading my old blogs from that time, I love what a sense of wonder we had. Everything was new and special for us. That and we could legally drink in bars for the first time. 😉
What festival would you like to visit the most?
Holi in India!! The colors, the joy, and all that culture would be intoxicating. Plus, it’s all about my favorite season, Spring. I haven’t been to India yet, but I hope someday I can make it there.
What has been your scariest travel experience?
Luckily, I haven’t had any horrifying experiences, but I’ve had my share of Couchsurfing with creepy guys, being lost and alone in unfamiliar streets, or being in a car with a stranger and feeling ready to jump out, if need be. I’d say one of my most uncomfortable times was in Cambodia, on a 10 hour bus to Sihanoukville, when all my friends were asleep, and the bus had to pull over for me to pee on the side of the road. I had to go in front of a group of Cambodian guys, in the middle of the night, with cars passing by. It was not ideal.
Where is your favorite travel destination?
Right now, it’s Chiang Mai, because I just got back from a week there and it was beyond lovely. The people are kind, the food is incredible, and there are beautiful mountains and rivers surrounding it.
What’s the strangest food you’ve ever eaten abroad?
In South Korea, I had the live octopus and then I had to eat its brain, which looked like chunky, black ink. I’d like to never eat any of that again. I felt like I was eating human. I also just had ostrich and frog in Vietnam and they were both delicious!
Do you prefer traveling solo or with company?
I prefer mixed. One of my best trips was starting out with a group of friends in Cambodia and Laos and then I went solo through Vietnam and Hong Kong. It was the best of both worlds. Sometimes you need a break from other people and sometimes, you really need company.
If you could only travel in one country, which would it be and why?
I absolutely hope I don’t get resigned to that fate! If I had to choose right now, I would surprisingly say America because I’ve seen so little of it. A goal of mine is to road trip all around the country and get to know where I come from.
How long have you been blogging?
I have been blogging since 2007 and this is my third blog site. I’ve been keeping diaries and journals since elementary school, but those were mostly full of what boys I liked and what I was going to be for Halloween.
What inspires you?
Good books, coffee, crazy people, beautiful people, absurd people, Hunter S. Thompson, Jack Kerouac, Kurt Vonnegut, David Sedaris, Cheryl Strayed, Elizabeth Gilbert, the movie Amelie, the movie Chocolat, so apparently, French cinema, all kinds of music, and being out in nature.
And, my nominees arrreeeeeee:
- Alana from Scrat’s Life
- Lauren from Something In Her Ramblings
- Reasons To Go North
- Rina from Girl In The Metro
- Hana from Hana Larock Writing
- The Agoraphobic Traveler
- Frank from Endless Frame
- Gabbie from Gabriela Bhaskar Photographer
- Brittany from Wandering Footsteps
- Anne from Travel. Food. Yoga. Books.
- Sandy from Global Wanderings
Instructions for Nominees:
- Create a blog post on your site, answering the questions that I’ve provided below.
- In your post, be sure to link back to the blog who nominated you (aka myself, Hannah at Fresh Off The Plane, with a thank you and shout out).
- After completing the questions, add a section for your nominees. Select, list and link 11 other bloggers with under 200 followers. Provide these instructions. Finally, create 11 questions for them to answer.
- Notify your nominees and provide a link to your post so that they know what to do.
- Once you’re done, come back here and comment with the link to your post so I can check out your answers.
Questions for nominees :
- What was your first travel experience?
- How has your outlook on travel changed since then?
- What is the most important thing you pack on a trip?
- What is one of your favorite travel books?
- If you could only travel to one more destination, what would it be?
- Who is someone you’ve met on the road who had a great impact on you?
- What destination did you find overrated?
- What destination did you find underrated?
- Do you prefer to go to many places in one trip or to spend all your time in one place?
- What music do you like to listen to while traveling or do you listen to music at all?
- Has new technology changed the way you travel? If so, has it been a positive or negative change?
Thanks, everyone! Can’t wait to read the answers ❤